TIMING BELT

2006 Dodge Stratus

2006 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl Automatic 72000 miles

My daughter has this stratus, & after the car quit on her, she had it towed to a garage. Without tearing in to her car she was told the timing belt broke. She was told the repairs would run 1600.00. She was told this would include the head being completely redone due to the fact when this model throws a belt, the vavles continue to move causing them to hit the pistons. She was also told the belt should have been replaced at 60,000 miles. My first questions: Is this normal to lose a timing belt with only 72000 miles? Second question: Is it true they would build an engine designed to possably cause more damage like the vavles hitting the pistons when the belt goes? Third and last question: What should the average cost range be on timing belt replacement under normal conditions without replacing everything under the hood? Thanks.
Wolves2u

If she has the 2.4L 4 cylender, it is a non-interferance engine. Basically, that means the head doesn't need to be touched. If the mechanic has any experience, he can tell by cranking the engine if the belt has broken. So, I can give him that. The belt cost around 40.00 and according to my book, it calls for 3.6 hours labor X their labor rate. (NOTE: An timing belt from Chrysler us 100.00 I'm sure you can get one from a parts store for much less.) I just looked one up for a price, 43.99 at a nationally recognized parts store. As far as the mileage, check the owner's manual. I would think replacement is aroung 100K

Remember, if you have the 2.4L, and I believe you do, tell the mechanic 2.4L Chrysler engines have valve relief notches in the head, so a failed timing belt shouldn't result in piston or valve damage. That should shut them up. I would take it to a different shop if it was mine.

Let me know what they say and how you make out with this issue.

Hello Joe,
I seem to be having the same issue. All crank, no start. I put a spark testing on one plug and cranked it, no sparks. A mechanic told me the timing belt is broken over the phone. Would a broken timing belt on the 2.4L engine cause the sparks to be disabled? Or should if buy a ignition coil, crank sensor and keep troubleshooting?
Harv

HarvOrtiz