SQUEAKING

2006 Dodge Stratus

Noises problem
2006 Dodge Stratus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

For the last couple of months, my car has been making noises when I hit bumps, turn, stop or anything. I thought it could possibly be my brakes, but like I said, it's not just when I stop. It also makes it when I take my foot of the brake. The sound almost sounds like rusty metal rubbing together or something. I usually ask my dad to drive it if I think something is wrong, but he is out of town and I don't want to take it to a repair shop unless I know there is nothing I can do to fix the problem. Also, my window has been running really slow the last couple of days and this morning it just stopped. Any advice?
Mervin4208

First the window issue. Listen with the engine off to see if you can hear the motor trying to run. If the window moves slowly and your dome light dims a little, indicating high current is trying to flow, start by spraying a silicone spray lube on the front and rear channels the window glass rides in. The Chrysler dealer parts department has Mopar Silicone Spray Lube. You can get it from the parts stores too under different brand names. This makes rubber parts slide onto metal parts very easily, and it works well on window channels too. It will evaporate quickly but leave a lubricating film behind. It also works very nicely in sluggish seat belts.

Another cause of slow windows is frayed wires between the door hinges. As the wire strands break one by one, it gets harder for the necessary current to get through so the motor slows down. Eventually all the strands will break. A wire problem will affect either any one of the other three windows or ALL the windows, depending on which wire is broken. It will never affect just the driver's window. That's the clue. If only your driver's window is dead, it's not caused by the wires between the door hinges. Besides, your car is too new yet to be suspecting broken wires.

A defective motor will also affect just the one window. The clue here is to watch the dome light when you press the window button. The engine should be not running to make this a more valid test. If the dome light dims just a little, current is trying to flow through the motor. The motor could still be locked up, but at least you know the wiring and switch are working.

As for the noise, there are too many possibilities to guess at without actually looking at it. A lot of chain stores offer free brake and suspension inspections. I'd start there. Could be as simple as a rusty brake splash shield rubbing on the brake rotor, worn brake pads that are rattling, or rust spots on the back side of the brake rotors.

Suspension problems could be rattling anti-sway bar bushings or links. Those will become quiet when you're turning corners. They can be irritating, but they're not serious. Lower ball joints can make a knocking noise. They ARE serious. You don't want one of those coming apart while you're driving. There are many other things that must be inspected. You're smart to not ignore unusual noises. You can help with the diagnosis by observing things that affect or change the noise. You already mentioned a lot of these observations. It's nice to finally have a post with so much detail. Thank you.