NO SPARK AFTER REPLACING THE TIMING BELT

1999 Dodge Stratus

1999 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

The timing belt broke and after replacing it the car will not start. I checked the spark from the spark plug wires and while the engine is cranking there is no spark but the second you let off of the key you get one spark. I checked to be sure that the crank and cam sensors are plugged in as well. The Hayes book shows where to align the marks on all three sprockets so I'm sure that is correct unless I have to rotate the crank shaft sprocket one more time (which I have never done before). Any ideas?
Hungarian1234

Start with a compression test
when cranking do you have check engine light on or it do goes off
do you have any codes

BMRFIXIT
I did the compression test and that was fine. I will have to look to see if the check engine light is on or not. I figured since I had disconnected the battery then it never started afterward that there would not be any codes showing up yet.

Hungarian1234
If you are using a scanner to check for codes
you may have pending codes check for that
if when cranking check engine light stay on
possible bad crank sensor
also make sure you did not activate an old alarm system

BMRFIXIT
Is there a way to test the coil on my 1999 stratus 2.4 liter engine? It has power to it while cranking but does not produce a spark while cranking. I replaced the crank shaft sensor already.

Hungarian1234
Coil No. 1 fires cylinders No. 1 and 4. Coil No. 2 fires cylinders No. 2 and 3. Disconnect coil pack connector. Using an ohmmeter, measure primary resistance between coil pack connector center terminal (battery positive) and each outside terminal (coil negative). If primary resistance is not as specified, replace coil pack.
Primary Resistance
2.0L & 2.4L______.45-.65 Ohm

BMRFIXIT
Well I did the ohm meter test and their was zero resistance on both sides. The meter read the same as when I touch the two meter leads together (it goes directly to zero).

Hungarian1234
I replaced the coil and still no spark. I replaced the crank and cam sensors too. Any other ideas?

Hungarian1234
Do you have a scan tool and if so does it communicate with the PCM
if so check if you have SYNC on crank and cam sensors

BMRFIXIT
No I don't have a tool to check if the cam and crank sensors are in sync. Let me ask you this, can it be that I have to line up the marks on the cams then remove the belt and turn the crank one more complete turn in order to sync the two sensors?

Hungarian1234
NO ,NO , Do not rotate camshaft or crankshaft after timing belt is removed, or engine damage may result.
this is the timing marks

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_500.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic2_243.jpg

BMRFIXIT
Page 1 of 2