NO OIL PRESSURE

2001 Dodge Ram

2001 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 127000 miles

i have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5, 2 motor with 127000k, I purchased it at a car auction as is and it's definitly a lemon, I already had the distributor and crank sensor replaced. It seem that after I had the distributor replaced. My oil pressure gauge would drop to zero once the motor got warm, at 1st I thought it was the sensor.I replaced it and still the same, I also put 20 50 oil and an extra quart incase the oil pump tube may have fell off. Still the same. The strange part about this is that I can still drive the truck with the oil presure gauge showing 0 as long as I go easy, but one time I accelerated more than your normal driving and got loud lifter noise, I stoped pulled over turned off motor waited a few minutes. Started the motor again and oil presure was fine at idle it only drops when in gear and driving. Although at some point the gauge goes to 0 and just stays there, but if I shout the motor off and turn it back on somtimes I do't even have to wait. The presure is back up. Does change in distributor have somthing to do with this or just coinsedence. Do you think putting straight 40 or 50w oil may help in diagnosing, because it seems the issue starts when motor gets to tempeture and oil thins. Why does the pressure come back up when motor is turned off and turned on. Do you feel it may be a gunk issue althoughoil is clear. Also I noticed the pan is new. Which tells me some one has been in the pan.
Drizz1998

I Had a 2000 Dodge do the same thing. I drained 1.5 qts of oil and replaced it with kerosene. I then let it idle for 10 min and then changed the oil. All was well after that. I hope it helps

Yakinup
Do you know what causes this to happen

Drizz1998
I believe it is sludge buildup being loosened as a result of the oil heating and blocking/restricting the flow to the oil pump. My truck did this on 2 occasions. The 1st was at around 110-120k the 2nd was around 175k. It now has 185k and still fires right up and I'd drive it anywhere although it is starting to smoke a little. I've never done anything to it other than change the oil

Yakinup
Thanks for your help it actually worked you saved me from blowing a motor. Whats funny is that I was debating donating to actually speaking to a mechanic or just going on the regular forum.I know if I would have spoken to a mechanic. They would have never mentioned putting karosene in a motor. The answer would of been somthing more involved and costly. By the way I used paint thinner, I was told it works better than karosene. Thanks again

Drizz1998
I'm Glad it work out for you. I know what you mean about mechanics. I had a problem with the transmission not dropping to low gear after coming to a stop. Making it seem to be slipping when trying to accelerate. I could manually put the shifter in D1 and it would pull fine. I could move the shifter to drive after getting up to speed. They said tranny needs replacement/rebuild. This was from the guys who had replaced the transmission 20000 miles earlier. I think they used the wrong transmission fluid for the install. I changed the fluid and it's been fine ever since.

Yakinup