LOW OIL PRESSURE AFTER ENGINE WARMS UP

1996 Dodge Ram

1996 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 216000 miles

When I start my truck the oil pressure is great 65-70 psi. Then after the engine has reached temp, the pressure starts dropping. At idle the pressure gets as low as 8-10 psi. When I rev up to 3000 rpm the pressure goes up to to about 30 psi. I have verified these pressures with a mechanical gage so it is not the sending unit. I have also replaced the oil pump and checked the intake screen and pick-up tube. Is this a main bearing clearance issue? I'm currently using 10W30 oil, should I switch to 15W40, 20W50, or straight 30W? Also, I have noticed that the engine smokes more during and right after idling. Thanks for the help.
Busta4691

I will use the 30W abd see what happens this will slow the pumping-good thinking don't work-engine bearings excessive clearances

What it is is that your oil screen in your pan gets clogged up and when you are at idle its not getting enough pressure but when you get on it it will. Drop your pan and change your screen. Check for metal shavings and check your main bairings when you have your pan down. If you dont see either one of them then just change the screen. I had the same issue and thats wht worked for me.

Choll999
I did a little research on oil viscosities and for my issue the higher number is the one that matters. I put in 20W50 and for now the oil pressure stays above 20 psi. Straight 30W would have given me the same results as 10W30. Since the higher weight oil has increased the pressure at low rpm, I'm guessing this is not an issue with the pump intake screen.

Busta4691