DODGE RAM STEERING PROBLEM

1991 Dodge Ram

Steering problem
1991 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

my 1991 dodge power ram 150 has to much play in the steering. All parts and linkage are in good shape. Sitting still with engine off steering seems fine. Wheels move when you move steering wheel. Start truck and drive steering getsloose, you have to play catch up with steering wheel to keep truck in your lane. Any ideas what might be done to correct this problem?
Clay lutz

I need you to check something. First, I will assume you checked all steering components such as tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm, drag link.

Open the hood of the truck. Follow the steering shaft to where it connects to the steering box. Where the shaft goes in, there are spacers that wear out over time and cause play in the steering. Make sure the shaft is tight and doesn't have play when you turn the wheel back and forth. Have a helper turn the wheel while you hold on to the gear to prevent it from moving. Let me know what you find.