HAVE CLUNKING NOISE IN STEERING COLUMN

Dodge Ram

I have a clunking noise in my steering column on a 1996 dodge ram 4x4 ext-a-cab. 143,000km
any helpful advice
Fdtruks

Explain exactly the meaning of a clunking noise so us Mississippi back yard mechanics can understand the noise. Thanks

Losone
Okay here goes nothing guys--- every time I'm driving and hit even the smallest bump my column shakes and literally clunks--like it's going to break loose--i have checked within the column and even heard of tie wrapping it to with no luck---from another backyard mechanical chick

Fdtruks
I expect the " clunking" isn't coming from the steering column but is a " transfered" noise from a worn steering component. The idler arm is a prime candidate for a clunk. Take it to a mechanic you trust and have the front end checked like tie rod ends, ball joints and shocks. I think that will ilolate your clunk. Don't wait too long, you don't want to loose steering control--It could ruin your whole day.

Losone
From a tennessee shade tree mech. I would say idler arm, " Geterdone"

Vandragon
Well the Mississippi oak tree mechanic agrees with vandragon and Geterdone!

Losone
My clunking sound is worse when engine is cold. And the steering wheel feels like it is hanging up on something and then it breaks free only to continue over and over again.

Codysowell