BRAKE SHOES

1998 Dodge Neon

Brakes problem
1998 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150, 00 miles

I replaced the brakes shoes on both sides of the car. The driver side continues to lock up after a few days of use. Will go backwards but not forward. I know its not the emergency brake. How do I stop this from happening? It seems to self adjust itself to where it locks up only on that side.
E.j anderson

Hi there,

Ensure that the brakes are assembled correctly and all springs and retainers are in place, if so then there should be no cause for this problem, check pic for view of rear brakes.

mark (mhpautos)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/61395_1_92.jpg

Mhpautos
In the picture you provided, the adjuster lever is up on top of the screw assmeby. In my car, the lever is down below the screw assembly. If its on top, it seems to want to push the break shoes out. The previous owner never used E-break, it was stuck so we cut both cables. Does that make a difference?

E.j anderson
The hand brake operates the self adjuster, this all should be in working order, you should replace the cables and ensure rte brakes are assembled correctly and working as per makers specs.

Mhpautos