PASSING GEAR

1993 Dodge Dynasty

1993 Dodge Dynasty 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 136860 miles

the problem I have with my dynasty is it will shift ok but when I get it up to 55 it will not shift and it will run in high gear and will not shift down. You can hear it running high. I used to have to stop, shut it off, wait a few minutes and then restart and it would be ok, but it does it often now and I can only drive it around town. It used to try to lock up on me while driving but has not done that for a while. I hope I explained it right cause it is hard to explain certain things so I hope you can understand me, lol. Thanks Robin
Robinsquest

The transmission is going into " limp-in" mode. This happens when the transmission computer detects a problem. It will keep it in second gear and record a diagnostic fault code. The transmission computer tells the engine computer there's a problem so the engine computer turns on the Check Engine light.

You'll need a hand-held computer called a scanner to read the fault code(s). As a general rule, if it defaults to second gear right after starting the engine and shifting into drive, suspect a sensor problem. If the transmission starts out in first gear, then stays or goes into second gear right after an upshift, suspect slippage in one of the clutch packs.