4 WHEEL DRIVE WONT ENGAGE

2000 Dodge Durango

2000 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

I was driving and accidentally hit the 4 wheel drive and it wont go back into 2WD, it just moves freely up and back. The car will not go into reverse, drive, etc. What could be wrong?
Pearlgarden

Carbon copy truck, miles, problem.

PEARL, did you get this fixed? Does anyone else know what the problem might be. The wife's Durrango started with the symptoms I've read about the tranny speed sensor, in first to second gear the tranny, in 4wd would slip in/out of gear intermittantly. I've blown off replacing the sensor because the 4wd is very rarely used. Yesterday I bumped the 4wd selector out of 2wd and now the vehicle won't go into any gear, and the 4wd selector isn't hitting any shift position. In fact it freely slides forward and aft. I have no idea if these issues are related but would appreciate some HELP!

Jet Doc
Its stuck between gears you may need new rubber bearing which only the dealership sell you need to climb underneath and move your clutch are manually mine does it too

Wldcwgrl08
I just recently had the exact same problem as everyone, you try to switch to 4HI or 4LOW and all of the sudden your 4X4 shifter feels like it slipped of gear and now has complete play in it (goes back and forth with great ease). I just took it to a mechanic and it was very simple to fix. There is a pin connecting the 4X4 shifter to the transfer case and it came loose and fell off. Its no big deal and very cheap to fix but it is scary as hell when it happens. I hope I'm not alone when I say this. Hope this helps.

Turkeydrapes