CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON...THEN OFF

Dodge Dakota

2001 Dodge Dakota. 69,000 miles. The check engin light came on and I read the code as " oxygen sensor". After a couple weeks the light went off. Was it a short? Do I need to replace the sensor? Thanks
Paulvs

Not sure how similar they are - but my 2001 Monte Carlo LS did the same thing. It turned out to be a loose gas cap - actually it was cross threaded. I reseated the cap, and after about an hour of driving the light went off.

RonK
In most GM cars if the gas cap is loose or the the electrical system gets wet, the check engine light will go on and then after its fixed or the cap is on tightly what have you, it should go off. Many things can cause this light to go on, but if you came up with the code o2 sensor ( oxygen sensor ) then you should check and replace the o2 sensor. But also check and make sure the gas cap is secure.

Lsussel