TAILGATE DAMAGE

1999 Dodge Caravan

1999 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

I bought a 1999 Caravan last year with some pre-existing damage to the rear bumper that I assumed was only cosmetic. Upon further inspection, I found out the rear hatch did not open and the rear window flaps do not run either. I assumed it was a lock and fuse problem, but after making sure the lock is able to disengage and all fuses were changed, I still cannot open the rear window flaps nor open the tailgate (which is very inconvenient with 3 kids under 6 years old). The other problem I am having with the tailgate is I need to change out the brake light and cover (they are broken) and I cannot do that until I can get my tailgate open! Help me please!
Infinitinit08

How bad is the damage? If I had to guess, I would say the linkage to open the hatch is either broken or disconnected from the accident. However, the only way to check is to remove the rear inner door panel. Reove it and check the linkage. Even with the door closed, you can remove it. It may be a pain, but can be done. THere are a few screws that will need removed and there are clips between the panel and the door itself that will pull apart after the screws are out.

Let me know what you find.