WON'T SHIFT INTO 3RD GEAR WHEN WARMED UP

1998 Dodge Caravan

1998 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 237000 miles

I have a 1998 Dodge Caravan with a 3.0 engine and 3 speed automatic transmission. When it is cold, it shifts just fine, but once it is warmed up, it doesn't want to go into 3rd gear, and if it does it downshifts as soon as you touch the gas. It shifts fine from 1st to 2nd. The check engine light has not came on and there are no codes coming up at all. I have seen a couple things on the forum that were close to this, but not quite the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Grayta

Could be the pump pressure drops a bit after warming up, tranny shop can test it for you. When was the last tranny service?

Merlin2021
I just changed the fluid and filter. It was fine for about a week after that.

Grayta
Did you see any metal or clutch material in the pan? And if the filter isnt seated right it could cause problems.

Merlin2021
There was a magnet with some sludge on it, but I have seen alot worse. I will double check the filter and make sure that it is on right, but I am pretty sure that I got it on securely.

Grayta
You can try a self-diagnostic test. To activate self diagnostic program: With the ignition switch in the OFF position, depress the TRIP and RESET buttons.
While holding the TRIP and RESET button turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Continue to hold the TRIP and RESET buttons until the word CODE appears in the odometer windows (about five seconds ) then release the buttons. If a problem exists, the system will display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's). If no problem exists, the code 999 (End Test) will momentarily appear.

Merlin2021
When I run the diagnostic, it just comes up with the 999 code and then it reads chec 0. I have been told by a few people that it could be the TCM or the input and out put speed sensors, or the shift solenoid. Any thoughts on any of those?

Grayta
It should set a code if it is one of those, check the harness at the tranny and the TCM on the right firewall, I still say pressure test it, unless you knocked off a wire during the filter install. Also it's possible the tranny needs rebuilding.

Merlin2021
It turns out that the spring for the kick down linkage was the problem. I put a stiffer spring on it and adjusted it out a little for a later kick down, and now it works just fine. Thanks for all your help.

Grayta
Good work!

Merlin2021