HESITATION

2005 Chrysler Town and Country

2005 Chrysler Town and Country 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 47,000 miles

While traveling about 30-40 mph the engine acts like it is hesitation or missing. Almost acts like a dirty fuel filter.

Tom
Tgsherman

So tell me what have you checked so far? Have you replaced anything at this point and if so what? Thanks.

Racefan966
No I have not done anything yet, but a parts supply store suggested I put in some injector cleaner.

Tom

Tgsherman
Ok so tell me is the check engine light on? If it is then call around to you local parts stores and see if any do a free scan and scan it write the codes down and have them clear them. Do you have a digital multi meter and are you comfortable with doing some tests? Get back to me and we go from there.

Racefan966
My engine light has not come on. I do have a digital multimeter. I could try & do some tests. I am ready when you are.

Tom

Tgsherman
So tell me have you checked anything yet? Have checked the plugs or looked over the wires or anything like that?

Racefan966
I have thought of that but the hesitation is sporadic or not all the time. Could it be bad gas or a dirty fuel filter? I get gas at the same place & it is a high volume retail convenience station.

Tom

Tgsherman
Ok lets start simple and work from there. I would first pull the plug wires on the front side as they are the eisiest to get to and if you would ohm them out and see what they measure for resistance. Get back to me with the length of wire and resistance. As for a fuel filter lets hope not as you car doesn't have one so that would mean replacing the fuel pump. If the wires look good then we will look into the cam and or crank sensor. Get back to me.

Racefan966
# 1 plug ohm 5.17 length 24" Rear
# 3 " " 4.58 " 21" # 5 " " 4.60 " 20" # 2 plug ohm 5.23 " 24" Front
# 4 " " 5.75 " 21" # 6 " " 3.64 " 18" I used the 20K Resistance # on my meter

Tom

Tgsherman
Ok those are in good shape did you check a couple of plugs to see what they looked like and how much gap was on them? The gap should be.050.

Racefan966
It seems when I am going from 30 to 40 mph that it acts likes its missing, so when it does that I step it down & it takes off with no miss or hesitation. Could I have maybe an EGR Valve problem?

Autozone could not show any problem with their handheld scan meter.

Plugs look O.K.

Tom

Tgsherman
Page 1 of 2