WHEN I TRY TO HOLD IT STEADY AT AROUND 30-35MPH IT HESITATES AND HAS EVEN KILLED ON ME A COUPLE TIMES

2008 Chrysler Town and Country • 60,000 miles

Hey, I have a 2008 town and country with the 4.0 liter. When I try to hold it steady at around 30-35mph it hesitates and has even killed on me a couple times. I guess it does it at lower speeds also but never when I am over 40mph. Do you think it is a problem with the injectors? Should I get them cleaned out? What else could it be? I have added a fuel additive to try and clean any junky fuel out but no luck. Could it be something other than the fuel? It has 60,000 miles.
Thechadlee

Could be a partially clogged cat.
Could be fuel pressure but doubt it since it is ok above that speed.
Could be something with the trans as well.
Get someone to road test it to confirm.

Do you think it could be the throttle position sensor?
By "cat" do you mean the catalytic converter?
I recently drover to FL and back from MN and the check engine light came on. The code was for the EGR system. Didn't really say to replace the EGR valve and it gave a few possible EGR alerts. The light on the dash went off after a few days. Do you think it could be related to that.I don't think it is because this problem was happening for a few months before our trip. I dunno, maybe it's the cat?

Thechadlee
Could be but a code never idnetifies a bad part, just a failed system.
The egr could cause this if it is sticking but you need a shop with a scanner to monitor the egr while the problem exists.

Thanks for your replies, Do you think it could be clogged injectors?

Thechadlee
I doubt it, there would be more problems at higher speeds.

Can the cat be cleaned and can I check it myself to see if in fact it's clogged?

Thechadlee
No, it cannot be cleaned and without the proper equipment, you cannot check it yourself.

OK Roy, I will take it to get the EGR scanned and Cat tested. Sounds like your export opinion is telling us the problem is exhaust related most likely. I would like to believe it's not transmission related and to tell ye the truth it feels like a congestion problem. Especially since I can keep it from killing if I step on the gas and kinda "clear the throat"!
Thanks for the help! Awesome!

Thechadlee
Hi guys. Excuse me for butting in but I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions. Chrysler has probably the least fuel injector problems of any manufacturer and you aren't going to solve anything by adding more chemicals to the fuel than what's already in there. Even if one injector became plugged, you'd have a single cylinder misfire, not a stalling problem. For any intermittent stalling problem, you have to be losing spark or fuel to all the cylinders, or a sensor is failing that RESULTS in a loss of fuel or spark to all cylinders. Compression is the third ingredient but losing that is not going to cause an intermittent problem.

The EGR system injects inert exhaust gas into the cylinders to take up space to replace some unneeded fresh fuel and air. You can't have that occurring at lower speeds or guess what happens? Stalling and hesitating. The EGR valve should only open at highway speeds where the loss of some fuel won't be noticed.

The EGR valve will not be commanded to open at lower speeds, but it can stick open when you slow down. That's typically due to carbon buildup or a worn valve assembly. That can be intermittent too. It sounds like the Check Engine light was telling you there was a problem. There's always a long list of conditions that must be met to set a fault code and turn on the light, but you can experience running problems before all of those conditions are met. With problems that are relatively less severe, the light will turn off while you're driving but the code will stay in memory.

I don't know how you got to thinking about the throttle position sensor for a stalling problem. ASEMaster6371 is right about getting a mechanic involved. You'll be bouncing around guessing at too many unrelated things, and if you start randomly replacing parts, besides introducing a whole bunch of new variables the Engine Computer has to learn, that is the most expensive and least effective way to diagnose this type of problem.

I'm in Wisconsin. Next time you go to Florida in the winter, please take me with you!

Sorry, I clicked flag for review on accident on caradiodoc's reply. My bad.
Thanks for the help Doc! I think I am going to start with having a pro check on the EGR issues and see if that's the problem. I'll go from there.

Thechadlee