NO HEAT

2004 Chrysler Sebring

Heater problem
2004 Chrysler Sebring 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

I have a no heat condition inside the car, any position. Radiator is full, engine at normal operating temp, heater hoses to and from the heater core engine temp hot (finger burning when hoses are touched). All blower speeds work, AirConditioner works. Air from vents with ac off just above outside air temp (thermometer checked) with ac on drops into the 50's (about 70 outside). Removed the knob control panel, disconnected and reconnected all wire looms (only 2, one for fan speed, one for everything else). All positions switch (feet, vents, defroster and everything in between). Is it the knob control assembly or is there something else it could be. Car runs fine, just no heat.
FCnota

Hello –

If you do need to get back with me please tell me if your model is just the Sebring or the GTC or Limited and the engine size in liter.

Looks like you did a lot of troubleshooting……I did read that you checked the heater hoses at the firewall…..where they go in and out and they are the same temp?

The only thing I can think of right now looking at the manual is the Air Mix Damper door. Below is the directions for setting up it after removeal….it may be out of adjustment or the cable clip came off and the cable came off.

>> A << HEATER CONTROL ASSEMBLY

INSTALLATION

1. Follow the steps below to install the air outlet changeover damper link cable.

1. Set the air outlet changeover control knob on the heater control assembly to the defroster position.

2. Set the air outlet changeover damper link of the heater/cooler unit to the defroster position as shown in the illustration, and then connect the cable to the link pin.

3. Push the outer cable in the direction so that there is no looseness, and then secure it with the clip.
Fig. 34: Installing Air Outlet Changeover Damper Link Cable
Courtesy of DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORP.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_34_1.jpg

2. Follow the steps below to install the air mix damper lever cable.

1. Set the temperature control knob on the heater control assembly to the maximum hot position.

2. Set the air mix damper lever of the heater/cooler unit to the maximum hot position as shown in the illustration, and then connect the cable to the lever pin.

Fig. 35: Setting Air Mix Damper Lever Of Heater/Cooler Unit To Maximum Hot Position
Courtesy of DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORP.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_35_3.jpg

3. After installation, ensure that each damper operates smoothly by operating the heater control assembly knob.

Thank you very much for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
Hello –

Also, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_SEbring_recalls_2.jpg

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
Thank you for the reply!

The car is a Sebring Convertible Limited, V6 2.7 liter

Both hoses going to and from the heater core are HOT. I've bled the bleeder valve with little to no air coming out.

On which side of the dash would this control be located? I've pulled the glove box and lower panel on the passenger side, but saw nothing like the picture. Also, I have not found any cables going to any of the dash controls, its all wires.

I had to have the water pump replaced (to the tune of $1,100) in July. Is this no heat condition possibly a reasult of that? Could something have been left disconnected?

Thanks for the help, this is driving me crazy!

FCnota
Hello –

Thanks for the information………….

Now that I have the info on your specific model, it appears it may be all electrical as you have indicated…..especially since you have done all the work and saw there were no cables……great job…….

I would say it may be the blend door actuator. It is electrically controlled by a potentiometer in the actuator and allows the BCM to know the exact position of the blend door at all times.

It appears there may be the mode actuator control right next to it. If it were me I would check with the parts department to see if they are the same part number. If so swap them and if it then works that is your problem.

Here is the info below on it.

DESCRIPTION

The blend door actuator is a motor/geartrain assembly which mechanically positions the blend door. The actuator is mounted to the bottom of the HVAC housing in the center.

OPERATION

A potentiometer in the actuator allows the BCM to know the exact position of the blend door at all times. The blend door actuator is not serviceable and must be replaced if found to be defective.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.

2. Remove the passengerside hush panel.

3. Disconnect the electrical connection.

4. Remove actuator retaining screws and pull actuator straight down (Fig. 24 ). Note actuator shaft position for installation reference.

Fig. 24: Identifying Blend Door Actuator
Courtesy of DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORP.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_24_3.jpg

INSTALLATION

1. Install blend door actuator on the housing, making sure the shaft spline is positioned properly with the cam (Fig. 25 ).

Fig. 25: Identifying Blend Actuator Spline
Courtesy of DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORP.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_25_2.jpg

2. Install tighten the actuator mounting.

3. Connect wire harness connector to the actuator.

4. Install the passengerside hush panel.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
You were right on the money!
Last nite I tore the car apart looking for the cables and stuff and found the 2 actuators. One moved, one didn't. Saw your email this am, went out and picked up the actuator, put it in the car this evening, HEAT! Was a pain, had to take the stereo, cd player, glove box and entire center and right side dash covering off to get one bolt off and on the actuator, but it was worth it.
It's very important to disconnect the neg cable. It resets the system or something. I didn't remember to do it at first, and it didn't work. I went back over the directions, disconnected the cable for about 3 mins. Reconnected everything and it works fine.

Thank you for the help! I'll be back again!

FCnota
Hello –

Fantastic……….I gotta tell you that you did a fantastic job troubleshooting and providing all the data………. Thanks for that………

You are correct…….I think they build the HVAC system then say…. Let’s build the car around it and make it really hard to get to everything……….

Glad you got it working…. Winter is coming on………

Please don’t forget to check on those recalls………. Especially the Fuel pump ones, rear seat belt and the brake one. Those should be free to repair.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS