POWER STEERING... EEK

2001 Chrysler Sebring

Steering problem
2001 Chrysler Sebring 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 111000 miles

Hi,
I really hope you can help me. I am a female and always worry about bringing my car in with NO knowledge of the problem.
My car started making loud noises when I turned the steering wheel. I checked the fluid and it was empty (leak?) Even though I thought the oil change place would've topped it off.
I filled it up (and over the fill line on accident) but the noise continues. Did having no power steering fluid in the car damage an important component? If so, do you have a ballpark idea of which one it may be and how much it may be to fix/replace?
Thank you so very very much,
Kristie
KristieDelise

If the hoses are not leaking and the outside of the pump is dry, the rack may be leaking, It has rubber dust boots that may be full of fluid, inspection is the only way to find out. Expensive? Even at an honest shop, it will run at least 400-600 for a rebuilt one to be installed, then because the pump has been running dry, it may need to be replaced as well.

Merlin2021
Thank you so much for your reply. Can you tell me how much a Power Steering Pump would cost if I purchased it from somewhere like AutoZone? Also, how invasive is this procedure (do I have to have the whole engine torn apart)? Are there special tools that I would need to change it out (the pump)?

Thanks!
Kristie

KristieDelise
I know if you call autozone they can tell you. You may need a pulley remover if the new pump doesnt come with a pulley.

Merlin2021