WONT STA

1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager

1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 140000 miles

My chrysler grand voyager was running fine, although a little reluctant to start in the morning. Came back from an 8 mile round trip turned off, came back to van 10 minuets later turned the key, nothing all the lights on the dashboard work and central locking.
When I turn the key the fuse box under the hood makes lots of clicking noises and there is an electronic whering noise coming from somewhere behind the glovebox, but other than that nothing. No clicking noises from the starter.
Any help greatly appreciated
ps checked all the fuses
Slimdotjim

First off have you check the battery? Tryed another? Tryed charging it? Sounds like its low or atleast a possibilty. Its one of the cheapest you can do. Also while your at it check to make sure the cables are tight and clean.

A quick test is turn on lights on bright and try to crank it. If lights dim then theres a issue with the battery. If they dont dim then theres a issue with the starter circuit. Get back to me

Blackop555
Thanks for reply blackop 555
The battery is sound everything runs, fan, wipers no diming of lights when key turned

Slimdotjim
Sorry for the late response but there's another common possibility that might help someone else. It's common for the cam on the end of ignition switch cylinder to crack. It will not quite move far enough to hit the switch contacts for the starter circuit, but everything else will work as described here.

It should be noted there is a different common problem with worn starter motor solenoid contacts but the symptom will be one kind of loud clunk as the starter drive engages the flywheel, but it won't spin the engine. There's a very economical fix for that too.

It's not terribly difficult to remove the lock cylinder from the ignition switch. Then you can stick a long flat blade screwdriver in it to crank the engine to get home. The dealer has a very inexpensive repair kit for the cylinder. The old cam was pressed onto a stub that was peened over to hold it in place. You will have to drill a small hole through the stub, then insert the supplied roll pin to retain the new cam. Once you know how to do it, the repair takes about a half hour.