TROUBLE STARTING

Chrysler Concorde

2000 Chrysler Concorde LXi 3.2L 105,000; For a few months now I've had occasionaly electrical problems, lights coming on briefly (ABS and Trac Control), car has not started a few times, but then it would run fine for a couple weeks before doing anything. However, now it is completely dead and will only start if jumped, and, for the first time the battery light is now on. The battery is original so I had it checked/replaced, but they said the same things was happening when they put in a new battery (so now I still have the original). I always thought is was just the battery slowly fading, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I thought it might be the starter or maybe alternator, but I have a feeling it might be something more and I don't want to get taken for a ride when I take it to the repair shop. Any suggestions on what could be causing the problem?
Thanks,
Bill
Jblamson

When the battery light is on that's an indication that the charging system is failing, (alternator), in order for the battery to keep a charge the alternator has to be putting out 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Take your vehicle to advance auto, they'll check you battery and charging for free. By the symptoms you described, your alternator is failing/failed. Hope this helps

Bootdog
Just thought I'd follow up to my earlier problem. I took my car into a shop I trusted, and it turns out the only problem was that my battery cables were severaly corroded and the battery tie down was loose, so they cleaned it all up, charged and load tested my battery and all seems well now (knock on wood). I was afraid it might have been the alternator too so I'm hoping that isn't the next shoe to drop.

Jblamson