LXI DRUM BRAKES

1998 Chrysler Cirrus

Engine Size 2.5 L V6

My drum brakes were serviced with new brake drums, shoes, wheel bearings repacked, hardware - spring kit on one & adjusted.

The symptoms I continue to have are dragging brakes & a loud squealing sound. I believe my wheel cylinders / pistons are seized or are seizing. My wheel cylinders are not visibly leaking however I know they can still malfunction when not leaking. Any ideas?
Garris

Have you tried jackin up the rear of the car and spinning the wheels, your rear brakes don't stop the car as much as the fronts do. Also how is the tension on the Ebrake?

Stratus98
Engine Size 2.5 L V6
58,000 miles

By jacking up & spinning the rear wheels what will that tell me? The e - brake is fully down the light isn't even on when I'm driving my car. How can I tell if the
e - brake is causing tension? I had my drum brakes inspected at Midas & then serviced at Pep Boys. Midas told me that I needed brake drums, shoes, wheel bearings repacked, hardware - spring kit on one & the wheel cylinders / pistons were seizing. I had everything done at Pep Boys except the wheel cylinders because they told me nothing was wrong with them. Well I wanted to narrow my fix & not spend a lot of money on replacing unnecessary parts. I might go ahead & replace the wheel cylinders & have the brake lines, ABS System, master cylinder, valves, e- brake etc. Inspected. What do you think of my dilemma?

Garris
If you were to jack up the rear and spin the tires you might be able to rule out an issue with the brakes, you may find that when the tires are spinning you can still hear the noise, meaning its not the brakes. Is there speeds when the noise isnt there? Also have you tried backing up a good distance and pumping the brakes?

Stratus98
When I'm driving at various speeds on local roads, highways I hear & feel the same sounds as describe earlier. When the car sits awhile or a few days the sound isn't present right away afterwards the sound then stays.
I can differentiate the sounds between the front brakes & drum brakes.

I know something is still wrong with my drum brakes. I just want to know exactly whats wrong before I invest in everything possible. What do you suggest is wrong because the shock absorbers are fine, Midas said the wheel cylinders were seizing, the brake lines don't look restricted. I'm only trying to work with the symptoms & the services performed already.

Garris
Your problems do sound like the wheel cylinders, Replace those and hopefully that will fix your problem

Stratus98