M ... SQUEAKING NOISE AFTER SPRAY THE BELT DRESSING ON !

1930 Chrysler 300

Hi, Last night I sprayed the belt dressing on the belts (both A/C and engine) and I heard the squeaking noise after I spray on. It didn't have any noise before I put the belt dressing on. But now it has! I stopped the engine and look at the belts I saw some sticky stuff on the belts. I just don't know what to do. Should I run the egine as I usually do or put something on the belt?

I realize that I shouldn't put anything on the belts when they're still running good.

My car is Chrysler 300M 1999 70,000 miles.
Chakky_chu

The belt dressing is causing the belts to slip. This is what is causing the noise. There is not enough tension on the belts. Not only is there not enough tension but the oil based dressing is harmful to the life of the belts. The sticky stuff is most likely dirt debris that the dressing picked up. It could also be a chemical reaction to the heat caused by the tension.

Overall. Belts are designed so that dressing is not needed. The purpose for dressings are to spruce up show cars that will not have much engine use, if any. The belts are usually wiped with the dressing and not sprayed on.

It is also not wise to spray any type of chemical on the engine as it can damage gaskets, rubber hoses, and possibly cause a fire.

Chrysler300guy
Thank you very much for your valuable answer.

So, what should I do with my car? After I ran for a couple days the squeaking noise is lower but it happens everytime I start the engine (the engine is cool) and the noies will be gone after the engine is warmed up a little while.

Is the dressing going to wear off. Or it stick forever!

Is there any way to get rid of that noise?

Thank you very much again.

Chakky_chu
Well, you could maybe causiously use a light detergent to remove the dressing from the underside of the belt and belt wheels.

I would consult with an Engine Detail Specialist though to find out the best and easiest way to do this.

Otherwise you could remove the belts and causiously use a degreaser on the belt wheels. Then replace the belts with new untampered belts.

Chrysler300guy