CHEVY REAR RING AND PINION REPLACEMENT

1998 Chevrolet Truck

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1998 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 185000 miles

I have a limited slip differential with a bad ring and pinion, I would like to change the gears but need information how to set up the carrier. Step by step procedures with illistrations would be very helpfull.
Rboweter

Ok first off what rear end? If this is a 1/2 ton then you have 4 different ring gear sizes which I need to know and if it is a 3/4 or 1 ton then it is different again. Now I must add you will need tools. You will need to be able to set the pinion preload and then you will need to be able to check back lash (with a dial micrometer) and read the marking compound. Also be able to feel the crush sleeve and then torque it correctly. Also be able to press the bearing off the old pinion to get the shims out from under it. You also need an instulation kit as you should not reuse the old bearings instead you bore them a little to use them to set it up before you press the new bearings on and such. Now if you go to Randy's ring and pinion and check the tech help and read the tips and how to's so you can see what I am refering to. Also you can use there site to identify you rear end and get your parts. Let me know what you want to do and we can take it from there.

Racefan966
The truck is a k1500 with a 10 bolt, 8.5" gear. I have the gears, bearings, sleeve, spacers and all the tools to do the job

Rboweter
If you could just send the info to my email address that would be great. I`m not sure how long it takes to get info on this site, I want to do the job today but not going to tear it apart until i`m able to study whatever info you send me.

Rboweter
Racefan966, I am waiting patiently for your reply as I am unable to set this rear carrier up without a little help from you. If you could get back to me soon it would be greatly appreciated.

Rboweter
Ok I will assume that you know how to take it apart so I will give you the instructions on installation. Now I do recomend that you use the old pinion bearing and hone it out so that is just fits the new pinion without having to press it on so you can set you pinion depth without pressing on and off the new bearing, once you have the right number of shims then put shims in place and press the new bearing on, make sense? If not let me know. Now here are the instruction to put it back together.
1) First set you pinion depth with a pinion depth guage(see pic below) and side bearing preload (see pic below). You do this by using the shims that are on the old pinion and putting them on the new pinion and then use the old bearing as discribed above and check depth. If depth is good then using a bearing installer install the new bearing on till it is tight against the shims.
2) Install new crush sleeve onto pinion. Lube pinion bearings. Install pinion into the axle housing. Install the outer bearing into pinion using bearing installer. Hold the pinion in position from inside housing while driving bearing onto pinion. Install the pinion oil seal.
3) Install ring gear squarely into the diff. case. Tighten ring gear bolts evenly and aternately to specs. (listed below). Ring gear bolts are left hand thread.
4) Lube ring gear and side gears with gear oil. Install left and right side gears and thrust washers into case as marked in disassembly. Install one spider gear into side gears and rotate untill spiders are exactly oposite and rotate into place.
5) Verify shaft fits through both spiders and install thrust washers and install shaft. Install lock bolt and just snug it.
6) if side bearing were remove install side bearings.
7) Lube side bearings and install races. Install differetion case into housing install the spacers between race and houseing as they were when you took it apart with the chamfered edge of spacer against the houseing. Install bearing caps and loolesly tighten bolt so the diff can move without falling out set side bearing preload (specs below) and then tighten everything to specs if all checks good. Now use your marking grease and then rotate the diff and make sure that the pinion rides in the middle of the ring gear. You can also use Randy's ring and pinion web and click on tech tips for more tips and if you have any questions please just ask.

Pics PInion depth

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_pinion_depth_1.jpg

Back lash

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_backlash_1.jpg

Back lash should be .005-.009.
Side bearing preload .008

Pinion preload 20 to 25 inch pounds to rotate pinion.

Torque specs.
Center pin lock bolt 27 lb ft
Ring gear to carrier bolts 90 lbft
side cap bolts 60 lbft
Pinion is set with the crush sleeve on rotating torque. so once pinion preload is set the pinion nut is at the right torque.

Racefan966