CHEVY IDLE DROPS BELOW 500 RPM

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe

2003 Chevy Tahoe V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 83,000 miles

I am having a problem with the idle of my 2003 Chevy Tahoe. Its a V8 5.3 L. When I start the Tahoe and the motor is on drive it idles at 500 RPM but it will drop to about 200-300 RPM's but never does it turn off. At this point when the idle drops below the 500 RPM mark the AC will blow hot air. So what I do is that I rev up the RPM's up to 1000 and the AC will began to work again. When the motor is on drive everything is ok. What can I do to fix the idle problem. Thanks
ELedesma

Try cleaning the Idle Air Control Motor. Also clean out around the butterfly in the throttle bore with carb cleaner and a rag. This should help stabilize the idle. That truck shoul dbe " drive by wire" ie, no throttle cable, if so then it doesnt have an idle air control valve which means you may have to replace the throttle bore to fix the problem, but try cleaning it first

Jack42
Hey Jack. Where can I locate this motor you are referencing? I am having the exact same problem.

Jyount21
If your truck doesnt have a throttle cable, you dont have one. If it has a cable it is located on the throttle bore. Clean out inside the throttle bore too, this will also help with the low idle

Jack42
I have verified that I don't have a throttle cable but the other type. Which direction would you point me in now?

Jyount21