CHEVY TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAK

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

1999 Chevy Tahoe 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

I'm just now realizing that my transmission fluid is leaking. It's not dripping, it's LEAKING. It's not so bad in my opinion because it doesn't leave a puddle, but after 20'minutes, you can tell that the cement is wet. I understand there's more than a couple of reasons to why its leaking. I would like to know what are some causes and how much to repair it? Thanks.
DevotedBeauty

HI there,

This is probably the pan gasket leaking, if you get under the car after a run you should see evidence of any fresh leaks.

Mhpautos
Thank you very much. Is the pan gasket something that I can fix myself or is this something that a professional should repair? If so, do you have a rough estimate so I won't get ripped off?

DevotedBeauty
Hi there,

If this is the pan gasket, you should be able to do this yourself with out any trouble, just don't over tighten the pan bolts with the new gasket fitted.

Mhpautos
Hi Mark!
It's me again. I was digging around and found some estimates from my previous oil change. Looks like " 19428 pinion seal. Remove & replace F pinion shaft seal. + Skid plate interferes add" . Can you explain just what all of that means? And can I go another 3 days without fixing it? Also is a price quote of 194.79 a rip off? Thank you very much!

DevotedBeauty
Hi there,

The pinion seal is in the differential, it is the seal behind the flange that the tail shaft bolts to. The price is a bit high I feel, may be get a few quotes, you can drive as long as the front diff oil is not to low, if it is in 2WD it won't be a problem.

Mhpautos