97 SOLENOID OR VALVE BODY

1997 Chevrolet Suburban

I recently purchased a 97 Suburban V8 350 5.7 with 143K miles and the check engine light came on.

I plugged a code reader into it and it said that the shift solenoid a was either stuck or in the off position.

I dropped it off at a mechanic to have him check it and he replaced the two solenoids inside the tranny plate.

He called me up and said that the problem was still there and I was still losing 2nd and 4th gear and that he would have to take the valve body out and possibly rebuild/replace it.

When I talked to him today he had taken the valve body out but has still not figured out the problem.

Obviously, I have no clue when it comes to transmissions, but I just want to make sure i'm not getting screwed on mounting shop hours @ $80 per. (I'm up to 7 hours already)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Semisane00

What is the code no. You came up with. Is it in between P0750-PO754

Check these sensors, coolant temperature, throttle position, vehicle speed sensors-these sensors influence the tranny operations such as overdirve up/down shifts/lock-up

My 2002 is having the same problem, I am getting codes 0740-0785-1860 all having to do with converter clutch circut malfunction.

1st my battery is bad repalced it, 2nd bad ground to block check that, then the ignition relay change that but dont buy part store china brand must be ac delco. Then last is ignition switch not making contac to engergize the tcc solenoid properly.

I am going to try change the ignition in mine this week to see if it fixes my problem.

Ronnie

Skigolfnut
Changed my ignition switch and it fixed the problem. Yea. When my dash lights would not light up it caused the tranny to code the solenioin valves. The ignition fuse was not hot, so it would not energize the tranny. Try the ignition switch it fixed mine.

Skigolfnut