CHEVY REPLACING THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL

2000 Chevrolet Silverado

2000 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 265, 00 miles

I am looking for information on replacing the rear differential in my dads truck. What is involved and approximate rice if anybody could help with this info I would appreciate it.

Wmartin1963

If you planning on replacing the entire unit with a used one, it's a few hours labor and moderate difficultly, but if your planning on taking that one apart, I strongly recommend you reconsider because it requires very expensive equipment to set up properly.

Wrenchtech
Thanks for the help, I am planning on replacing the unit with a new or used one. If I can ask this also, do I have to replace the axles and everything back there of just the gear unite of the differential?

Thanks again.

Wmartin1963
No, you want to change to entire unit. Changing any part of it would involve tricky disassembly. You may have to transfer the brakes over.

Wrenchtech
OK, so I have to replace the whole back end, axles and such, what do you mean " transfer the brakes over "?

If I can ask one more question on this. Do you know where I can find an exploded view of this to take a look at?

Thanks again.

Wmartin1963
Your old brakes may be in better shape so you would transfer them to the new axle.

Wrenchtech
Ah, I guess that makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

Wmartin1963