CHEVY STALLING, ROUGH RUNNING, LOW IDLE

2001 Chevrolet S-10

2001 Chevy S-10 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Truck stalls, has extreme low idle, sometimes stalls as I am driving down the road. When thei happens sometimes it starts up first try, other times it takes 5 or 6 tries. Sometimes it runs as if it is starving for something, fuel, air whatever, like it's gasping for something.

I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, the icm, the ect, the crank shaft sensor, the iac, and I've cleaned the throttle body. Nothing has helped.

What's causing this problem?
Jasharp

Start by having a back pressure test performed on the convertor, or if bolted on, remove bolts and visually inspect interior.

If you see melted material, then CAT is clogged.

Mmprince4000
The cat converter was replaced about 4 months ago. So that's not the problem.

Any other ideas?

Jasharp
The low idle is either a timing issue (retarded) or lack of air to engine.

Check throttle body plate. See if it is bent, possibly caused by a backfire.

Next check timing with scanner, if below 20 degrees, then it may be the crank ring that the crank sensor reads.

Mmprince4000
One other thing that will cause the idle problem is an open EGR valve.

I would remove and clean it and the base, if sticking it will cause a low idle and stalling, poor running.

Mmprince4000
This truck, 4 cylinder, doesn't have an EGR valve. There is a place on the side of the motor where it would bolt on if it were on some different vehicle but this one just has a flat plate to cover up that hole.

Would a clogged mufler cause these kinds of problems?

Jasharp
Anything that would restrict exhaust flow would cause driveability problems. Depends on the extent of the restriction.

Mmprince4000