CHEVY COOLANT PIPE CONNECTOR

1993 Chevrolet Lumina

Heater problem
1993 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 124000 miles

My heat has not been working for about 4 weeks and I have finally found the problem. I found a clog/corroded fitting where my coolant line goes into my thermostat housing. The pipe is connected to the housing with a " quick disconnect fitting" and I was told it was made out of " pop metal"? My problem is now that the corroded metal is still in the threads and I have only been able to get about half of it out. What is the best way to get the rest of these threads out?
Glooney

Remove the thermostat housing from the engine, drill close as you can to the size, without wiping out the threads, or buy a new housing and water pipe.

Merlin2021
The thermostat housing is part of the block and can't be taken off. That is the problem

Glooney
You are looking at something else then. Thermostat housings are not part of the block!What you have is 1/2 inch pipe thread try getting an extractor on the broken piece, use a little heat from a propane torch, then back it out with the extractor. If you follow the upper radiator hose to the engine, you will find the thermostat and it's housing. You might be looking at the waterpump, the heater hose outlet is as you are describing! If wors comes to worse replace the entire pump, it comes with the outlet on it!

Merlin2021
I am positive it is the thermostat housing. I have already done a water pump replacement and I know it is not the water pump I am dealing with. As far as I can see the housing does not come off. I will look again today. I think I may try to use a propaane torch on it and see if that loosens it up. I will try to take a picture of exactly what I am talking about. Thanks

Glooney