CHEVY WON'T START

2004 Chevrolet Impala

2004 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85,000 miles

I have a 2004 Impala SS-Supercharged engine. As I was driving one night, the engine stalled and quit. I towed the car home and assumed the fuel pump was faulty. I replaced and the car started but ran only a few minutes and died. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and filter. Fuel is present at the fuel rail/injectors. Still will not run. I disconnected a plug wire to check for fire; spark is present. With the wire disconnected, the car began to run again, rough idle, and died.
I pulled the diagnostic codes and they are: P0101 and P0452. Mil codes: Inc, Comp, and EGR.
Help!
DTapia

Are you getting a hot blue spark? Also, have you actually checked the fuel pressure?

Not a hot blue spark.

DTapia
What color is the spark? It may not be hot enough to run the engine. See if it will start with starting fluid. Starting fluid is more volatile than gas and will burn easier.

Removed air filter-sprayed starting fluid- car started and ran for about 4min. I have a yellow check engine(picture of engine) light. When the car started, was at 900 rpm, then 800, and settled at 650 rpm-usually where this car normally idles. White smoke coming from exhaust and smells rich. Car was at normal idle and stopped again.

DTapia
We need to have the computer scanned. If the light is on, there will be codes in the computer. Call around to nationally recognized parts store and have them if they lend or rent tool. You need to borrow an OBD II scanner.

Another concern is the white smoke from the exhaust. Was it just normal steam from condensation in the exhaust, or did it seem excessive and last a long time? My concern is a bad head gasket. When coolant gets into the combustion chamber, it burns white. Check the oil to see if there is any oil mixing with it or oil in the coolant.

Let me know. Also, sorry for so many questions. The problem is I am not there to see what is happening. I have to ask you what you see so it takes a little longer. But you must admit, it is cheaper this way. (LOL)

Hi Joe,
I had scanned the computer and came up with the following: P0101 and P0452. It also produced the following Mil codes: Monitrs, 0 Inc, 8 ready, misfire, fuel, comp, catlyst, evap, 02 sensor, 02 htr and EGR.
There is no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil.
I beleive the white smoke and rich exhaust smell came from the car attempting to start/no start and unburned fuel dumped into the cylinders.
Answer to your previous question: the spark does not look stron and blue; appears white.
Is it possible some of the codes were caused by squriting starter fluid in the intake area/maf sensor?
If I have'nt said thanks yet- thank you for your help.
It is appreciated.
David

DTapia
Hi Joe,
Here is where I'm at; I replaced the battery and now the car starts and runs normally-good idle, no smoke from exhaust, no rough idle. The orange check engine light is still on.
It runs normally now(as it always has) but stops after about 2 minutes. I then have to wait for the car to cool down and it will start again and run another copule of minutes.
The stopping after a few minutes lead me to bellieve the fuel pump was faulty; I replaced the pump, filter and reglator. At this time, the check engine light was not on.
I still have the same problem.
What am I missing?

DTapia
I think you have a bad MAF sensor. However, I don't like the white spark. It sounds weak. Disconnect the maf and tell me what happens.

Joe,
I disconnected the maf and the car remained running.
I replaced the maf and the car is running normally.
The spark id strong and blue- battery replacment solved the weak spark issue.
Problem solved.
Thanks again,
David

DTapia
Great! I'm glad you got it going again. I had a feeling the MAF had something to do with the problem and the battery you replaced helped.

Thanks for using 2carpros. Com and it was a pleasure working with you, Dave. It took a little time, but we got it.

Take care and let us know if you have questions in the future.