CHEVY HAUNTED - STRANGE FAN MOTOR

2003 Chevrolet Impala

Heater problem
2003 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 89800 miles

What causes this fan motor to act like this: Sometimes when I start the car the fan runs normally. However the next time I start the car the fan will not run at all and the cruise light is on in the dash (even though the cruise is not on). Also the rear window defogger malfunctions. Then If I put the fan control to the highest setting the cruise light will go off but no matter what setting the fan control is set at, usually around 15 minutes driving time, the cruise light goes off and the fan motor turns on all by itself and everything starts working fine again. The wife thinks the car is Haunted! I said nonsense, lets ask someone who knows something.
John Vinti

Replace the ignition switch assembly. There is an intermittent loss of voltage on one of the circuits. I have seen this problem on multiple impalas

Dennyp
Hey dennyp thank you for your response. Is this some- thing I can do at home or strictly a dealer repair. Since the key is on the dash of this model I know it can be very difficult to get behind the dashboard. I imagine that's were the assembly is. Is it possible for a pretty handy " home mechanic" with plenty of tools?

John Vinti
I would recommend taking to the dealer since there is a possibility it could need theft system programming after the repair. It is also somewhat difficult to get into the dash. The repair procedure is too much info for me to post on here, so if you do it youself have a repair manual handy.

Dennyp