CHEVY IGNITION SWITCH ISSUES

2000 Chevrolet Impala

How do I replace the Ignition Switch, how do I get at it, how does the dash come off
RobertRJamesJr

Ignition and Start Switch Replacement
Removal Procedure

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_1_1.jpg

Disconnect the battery ground cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect and Connect Procedure in Engine Electrical.
Remove the steering column filler panel. Refer to Steering Column Filler Replacement .
Remove the knee bolster bracket. Refer to Bracket Replacement - Knee Bolster .
Remove the instrument panel (I/P) cluster trim panel. Refer to Trim Plate Bezel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Cluster .
Remove the ignition switch bolts.
Lower the ignition switch away from the instrument carrier.
Insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder. Turn the key to the ON/RUN position.
Depress the transaxle park/lock cable retainer to release. Pull to remove the park/lock cable from the ignition switch.
Important: The Passlock electrical connector cannot be removed until the lock cylinder is removed.

Depress and hold the detent on the bottom of the ignition switch in order to release the ignition lock cylinder. Remove the ignition lock cylinder with the key.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_2_1.jpg

Disconnect the Passlock electrical connector.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_3_1.jpg

Important: Ignition switch lock cylinder that won't rotate or is seized.

Perform the following procedure if the ignition switch lock cylinder is seized or won't rotate.
12.1. Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.

12.2. Locate the surface for the ignition switch lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location (1) on the "rib" approximately 3/8 inch reward (toward the key entry end) from the cylinder release button.

12.3. Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with a 1/8 inch drill bit.

12.4. Carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the ignition switch lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring using a 9/32 inch drill bit.

12.5. Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.

12.6. Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove it from the switch housing.

12.7. Remove any plastic "flash" from the drilling operation, and using compressed air blow out the ignition switch assembly.

12.8. Follow service manual procedures when cylinder cording is required. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding in General Information.

Installation Procedure
If the lock cylinder would not rotate or was seized, perform the following procedure:
1.1. Install the new ignition switch lock cylinder as required by rotating both the cylinder and the ignition switch to the ON position.

1.2. Push the ignition switch lock cylinder into the ignition switch housing until fully seated.

1.3. You may have to slightly depress the release button as the button passes by the 9/32-in hole previously drilled in the ignition switch housing.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_4_1.jpg

Connect the electrical connectors.
Connect the Passlock electrical connector.
Connect the park/lock cable to the ignition switch.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_5_1.jpg

Turn the key to the ON/RUN position. Install the ignition lock cylinder into the ignition switch. If you turned the key slightly while removing the lock cylinder, you may have to align the white colored ignition switch rotor (1) with the lock cylinder (2). You can rotate the ignition switch rotor (1) with your finger.
Remove the key.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_6_1.jpg

Position the ignition switch to the instrument carrier.
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the ignition switch bolts.
Tighten

Tighten the bolts to 10 N m (89 lb in).

Install the trim plate bezel to the I/P cluster. Refer to Trim Plate Bezel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Cluster .
Install the knee bolster bracket. Refer to Bracket Replacement - Knee Bolster .
Install the steering column filler panel. Refer to Steering Column Filler Replacement .
Connect the battery ground cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect and Connect Procedure in Engine Electrical.

Dennyp

I have a question regarding this install. I just replaced my ignition switch on my fathers 05 impala due to the popular passlock issue and the vehicle not starting.

I purchased the ignition kit from GM, where a service tech told me I dont need to have the car re-key'd or programmed if I keep the stock tumbler and install it in the non-defective passlock. I have installed the ignition, everything is hooked up, and everything in the car works, but it wont start. I am wondering if this is due to the new passlock, and im not sure how it works with different keys and so-forth. I was also told it could also be the BCM but to try this first. So my question is, could the car not be starting due to the new passlock not recognizing the car, and being a programming issue, or has the problem spread to the BCM and I need to replace that too?

Thank you

Grperko