TIMING CHAIN ON CHEVY

Chevrolet Corsica

Chevy Corsica, 1996; 200, 00 miles; 4 cyl.

A few weeks ago, I had to have the timing chain replaced. The car was running fine up until this time. Since it has been replaced, my car is running rough. It idles rough, uses excessive gas, tries to die at stops. I was wondering if you could tell me what might be causing it to run like this after having the timing chain replaced.

Thanks.
Frances

Well lets see if I can help you. It sounds like the Camshaft and crankshaft sprocket marks wasn't alighned up when installed. The Haynes Auto Repair Manual shows a good picture of this. Hope this helps.
Ray

Hryk2646
How does your car run when your on the freeway?
Ray

Hryk2646
My car runs fine while I am driving. It is only when it is idling, when I first start it or come to a stop, that it seems rough.

Frances
You may have a different problem. The TCC solenoid
Here's what you do. Look at the tranny, on the side you will see a plug two wires go into it. Left of battery and below the air intake. Unplug it then drive it. If it improves the running of the car you need a new one.
Thats what my car did. I replaced it. A bad TCC willl affect your gas milage. Not uncommon. Hope that helps.
Ray

Hryk2646
Thanks for the info. I will look and see if I can figure out what to disconnect!

Frances