CHEVY WINDSHIELD WIPERS

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

2004 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

i was driving with my windshield wipers on and heard a pop and the wiper on th driver side stopped working. I can move the wiper freely by its self. If I turn the wipers on the passenger side still works but the driver side does not work. Can you tell me what this might be
Shignight

Remove protective cap on base of wiper arm and see if the nut that holds it to wiper trans is loose. If so tighten nut, if nut will not tighten, then wiper trans. Bolt is stripped and wiper trans will need to be changed.

Mmprince4000
The above person has a legitimate answer but his answer is no where near what the root of my problem was. the problem I CAME ACROSS WAS not the nut but is the actual bushing which snaps onto the ball joint on the wiper motor arm. the arm is held in place by some cheaply made plastic. i have a 1985 VW and the wipers still work (go figure), the over all design of the wiper system is pretty shitty by Chevrolet standards. its simply bad engineering on that specific part

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/574753_chevy_parts_2.jpg

MrMan83
The above person is making a conclusion, without seeing the problem. While he has posted about this problem (his own experience), that does not mean every problem falls within his experience.
If there is a TSB concerning this problem please post TSB #.

I would remove the wiper arms, cowl and inspect bushings and linkage assy, could be a bushing, could also be a loose nut, especially on an '04.

If bushing, then get a replacement from Chevy, but check the nut first. Start simple and work your way up.

Mmprince4000
Post deleted for nonsense.

Mmprince4000
I like how you guys deleted my last response. I did not make a conclusion without seeing what the problem was. I fixed my problem which happened to be a faulty linkage bushing. Thats why I took a pic and went into detail with the problem I had. I was very descriptive and at the same time I elaborated on where the problem was occurring and yet my post was deleted.

MrMan83
MrMan83

Check your PM's for your answer.

Mmprince4000
I have the same issue myself. I have visually inspected and found the same bushing to be split in half causing the linkage arm to fall from the ball joint on the bottom of the wiper motor. I have tried Dorman replacement bushings with no luck. Chevy wants to sell the entire linkage kit for $197. All this to replace a bushing that should sell for about $5. Do you have a part number and source to order this bushing from?

Bowler300623