CHEVY MY WINDSHEILD WIPERS WON'T WORK

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier

1997 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 190000 miles

One day my wipers stopped working. I took the motor off and jumped it to the battery and it moves fine. I checked the fuse in the fuse panel and there is no power going to it. I took the panel out and tested the two wires going to the fuse and still it didn't show power going to it. I took out the Wiper switch on the steering column. I not sure how to test it. I took it apart and it looked fine. The resisters were showing voltage but I have no idea what the voltage should of been but they still looked good none looked burned. I put a piece of wire where the fuse goes to see if that did anything but still nothing. I tested for power at the wiper motor plug and I was getting nothing. So I'm getting no power at the fuse or the motor. I'm lost at this point. Are there any other ways of testing more things.
Greenchevymalibu

You should be getting power at the fuse if the key is in the ON position.

Give me a couple of hours and i'll dig up the schematics for your car.

Buddycraigg
Yea that's what I mean. I'm not getting power at the fuse or anywhere else.

Greenchevymalibu
Do you have a factory radio and does it work?

If you have a remote control, can you lock and unlock the doors with it.

Power runs from the ignition switch through a brown wire to the fuse box.

Then inside the fusebox, it splits to a 10 amp fuse for the radio
and a 25 amp fuse for the wipers

before that, it has a 50 amp fuse in the box under the hood, with a red wire running to the ignition switch.

Buddycraigg
I have an aftermarket radio. The lines to the fuse were warn so the fuse would turn the radio on and off when the car moved. I cut the radio wires out and put an aftermarket fuse line. The radio works fine. The wipers work after I did this. The locks are manual and so are the windows. The car starts up fine and runs. I looked in the manual at the relay box but couldn't find the fuse. What is the name of it?So your telling me that the ignition and wipers work off the same power source? I wonder why one works and the other doesn't since its the same power source. Thanks for the info. If you got more I'd appreciate it.

Greenchevymalibu
We know the 50 amp fuse in the under hood box is good, cause a lot of stuff in your car wouldn't work if it was bad.

Check for power on the brown wire coming out of the ignition switch with the key on. (Or you could check at the brown wire at the fuse box)

hey, check for power on the factory radio fuse,
since the wipers and radio fuse are tied, it should be hot,
if not then we'll know we have a probelm in the switch or in with that brown wire somewhere.

Buddycraigg
Yea I checked the radio fuse and its hot. If the wiper switch on the steering column was bad would I still get power at the fuse or wiper motor? What else does the brown wire power since I know the ignition is working but not the wipers.I'll check the brown wire coming out if the ignition right know and tell you if its hot I figure it would since the ignition works.

Greenchevymalibu
Yes, there is one wire that is hot at the motor when the key is turned on.

And then there are 3 more wires that are hot depending on what speed you have the wipers on.

Buddycraigg
Do you know how to read schematics?

Buddycraigg

http://myfiero.com/uploads/17254_.jpg

.

http://myfiero.com/uploads/17253_.jpg

.

Buddycraigg
OK I just checked the the wires coming from the wiper switch wire harness to the ignition and there is no brown wire its one yellow, one black and one off white.I tested these three wires just now and none of them show any signs of power. I figure that yellow is power, white is common, and black is ground. The thing that gets me is that it plugs in to the ignition but the car starts and runs unless power only flows threw the ignition wires when you start it up and stops when the car starts?

Greenchevymalibu