CHEVY RADIATOR FAN

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier

Engine Cooling problem
2002 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 180000 miles

Radiator fan only runs when a/c is on. I replaced temp sensor located on top pipe on right front of engine. Still problem is the same. Also if I unplug the sensor the fan runs continuously.
Cpo688

There is nothing wrong with the fan system. It's on; y programmed to come on after about 227 degrees.

Wrenchtech
[quote=" Wrenchtech" ]There is nothing wrong with the fan system. It's on; y programmed to come on after about 227 degrees.[/Quote

Normal operating temp for this car is 195 fan should kick on well before 227. Cant beleive this is the best answer you could give. I would like a refund please

Cpo688
OK, Mr " know it all". Here is the description of fan operation taken directly from the service manual. I'll admit I went from memory and was 4 degrees off but I didn't just start doing this yesterday and you are not the first person to think there was a problem because of the temps.

Cooling System Description and Operation

Cooling Fan Control
The engine cooling fan system consists of one cooling fan and one relay. The relay is powered by the battery positive voltage circuit and controlled by a switched ground from the powertrain control module (PCM).
During operation, the PCM supplies the ground path for the cooling fan relay through the cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and supplies battery positive voltage from the cooling fan fuse through the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the cooling fan. The cooling fan motor is grounded through its own ground circuit.
The PCM commands the fan on under the following conditions: * Engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 106 °C (223 °F).
* A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1310 kPa (190 psi).
* A/C is requested and vehicle speed is below 100 km/h (62 MPH) with A/C pressure above 1413 kPa (205 PSI).
* Vehicle speed is less than 8 km/h (5 mph) for more than 750 seconds. The fan will turn off when vehicle speed is greater than 8 km/h (5 mph) for more than 20 seconds.

Wrenchtech
Hey if I was mister " KNOW IT AL" L I wouldn't need to ask questions would I? And if you had provided the above info in the first place I would not have had to question ur first brief and in my opinion synical answer.

Cpo688
I'm here to provide advice and I do it for free. I don't have to PROVE everything I say.
Don't worry, If I knew I was dealing with someone who thought he knew it all I did, I wouldn't have responded at all. I doubt anyone else will in the future.

Wrenchtech
If you are and example of the help offered on this site you need not worry about answering anymore questions as I will not be asking in the future. You should try coming down off your high horse someday and live with the rest of us poor dumb schmucks who are just trying to get by day by day.

Cpo688
I am sorry about the comments made to you in your post. We have a lot of professional technicians that are both paid and volunteer a considerable amount of time trying to help. We do monitor everyone and I will have a talk with him. We do appreciate your donation and certainly don't want to offend you or insult your intelligence. Everyone has a tough day and can say something they normally wouldn't. We will be glad to refund your donation and still try to help you if you need it.

2CarPros Mike