CHEVY EGR VALVE??

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

Other Category problem
1998 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

Ok. For a while now, whenever my car idles, its dies. It'll start back fine now that the starter has been replaced, but I've heard different things that could be wrong with it. My dad was a mechanic for a while years ago and said something about a PCV valve. The mechanic that replaced my starter said something like EGC Valve. At Advance Auto, they told my husband some other kinda valve and online all I can find is an EGR Valve. Are all of these the same thing? I don't know much about cars. But I know my car isn't doing what it should. Its weird though because when it almost dies, it'll stop when I hit the gas. And sometimes the RPM thing will go up without me touching anything. I think that mechanic said something about my O2 Sensor too. I need help. I don't wanna buy a wrong part And with all the names of valves. IHJ, EGC, EGR, PCV. Which is it?
Krita7

For starters, have you had the PCM (computer) scanned for codes? Autozone will do it for free. If the PCM sees a problem it will store a code that will help in diagnosing the problem. Could be the Idle Air Control Motor. Try cleaning out the throttle bore around the butterfly with carb spray and a rag, and remove and clean the IAC motor with carb spray.

Jack42