2.2 LITER AIR COMPRESSOR REPLACEMENT

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

There is a high-pitched rattle on the right side of the engine compartment that varies in intensity with engine speed. The air conditioner does not work.
Dealer says the AC compressor clutch is worn and I need to spend $1000 to get a new AC compressor installed. What do you say?
If I need a compressor, is a used one generally a " safe bet"? Is this a do-it-yourself job? What tools are needed? What does the AC compressor and clutch look like? Are they sold separately? If I elect to repair myself, what are the required tools? Can you share a " short list" of repair tips to help the process along? Thanks for any suggestions!
Bkroeker

Probably, usually under the plastic cowl, under the wipers.

Merlin2021
My truck doesnt have a plastic cowl but it has two access covers under the hood one next to the wiper motor and the other next to the eec port but if I look through the cowl I can see something in gray foam and the picture I saw it was had gray foam around it

98rangerxlt
I wouldnt bother with used, you never know what you are getting, might have to replaced the used one in a year. The only DIY part of the job is bolting in the compressor and replacing the receiver\dryer. Once these parts are in the system needs to be vacuumed down to get all moisture and contaminenets out of it for max operation

Jack42