AC COMPRESSOR NOT CYCLING.

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier • 17,800 miles

AC Question: I have a 2002 cavalier 2.2l sedan that I have done just about everything to get the AC compressor to run. Back in August 2011 I replaced the compressor, accumulator, orifice and flushed out the entire system. I charged it and was working great! No leaks and was ice cold. This past week I tried it and was not working. The compressor would not kick in. I thought maybe it was low on gas and took it to be charged. The tech said the compressor wont run. I took it back home and checked the following:
1. Interior / exterior fuses
2. Relay
3. Checked all plugs to make sure they are connected.
4. Replaced the cycling switch(ac pressure switch)
5. Autozone hooked me up and exchanged the compressor for me to see if it would make a difference.
6. I also changed the ac heater control switch in the car.

I evacuated the system and then forced charged it by jumping the relay. Compressor still not turning over. I was able to jump the compressor at the relay. That worked and I was able to charge. I dont know what else it could be. Can it be the PCM?
Freaknpr

I DON'T KNOW YOUR SYSTEM. IMMA JEEP KINDA GUY, I HAVE NO A/C!

"MITCHELL I" DOES!

I GRABBED YOU FOUR DIAGRAMS---LET ME KNOW IF YOU CANNOT SEE THEM WELL. LET ME KNOW, I WILL INITIATE A WAY TO GET THEM TO YOU

DIAGRAM: 1) VIN 4 COMPRESSOR CIRCUIT

2) VIN 4 MANUAL A/C

3) VIN F COMPRESSOR CIRCUIT

4) VIN F MANUAL A/C

DO LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS---I DID NOT KNOW YOUR VIN

Thanks, I have a VIN 4. I have looked at the system and still cant figure it out.

Freaknpr
Do you have any ideas as to what the issue can be?

Freaknpr
WELL SIR.I STILL KNOW LITTLE ABOUT YOUR SYSTEM

THE DIAGRAMS DO SHOW ME A "ROAD-MAP", PERHAPS THINGS TO CHECK

1ST DIAGRAM SHOWS 2 FUSES. ARE BOTH GOOD?

THEN THERE'S THE RELAY JUST BELOW THE FUSES. DOES IT HAVE AN EXACT TWIN ELSEWHERE THAT YOU COULD SWAP IT WITH, FOR A TEST?

DIODE. JA TEST IT?

2ND DIAGRAM: SEVERAL RELAYS IN IT THAT MAY BE "SWAPPABLE" WITH ANOTHER AS A TEST

YOU MIGHT TEST VOLTAGES TO THE DIFFERENT COMPONENTS WHEN IN DIFFERENT SWITCH POSITIONS

I HAVE NO MIRACLE CURE TO THROW TO YOUR. Sorry!

MAYBE YOU COULD FIND SOMEONE MORE ABLE TO READ THE DIAGRAMS AND OFFER OTHER THINGS TO TEST

AS YOU SAID IN THE BEGINNING THE OLE PCM MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM, I IMAGINE IT COSTS AS MUCH AS AN ENTIRE REAR AXLE ASSEMBLY FOR MY JEEP

JUST ASK---I WILL INITIATE A PRIVATE MESSAGE TO YOU, WHERE YOU CAN "PRIVATELY" GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, NOT BROADCAST TO THE WORLD AS IN OPEN FORUM.I WILL SEND YOU BOTH VIN 4 DIAGRAMS, THEY WILL BE EZer TO READ, ESPECIALLY THE 2ND ONE.

THIS MIGHT MAKE A PRINTED COPY EZ TO READ AND PORTABLE TO CONSULT WITH OTHERS. LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT ME TO INITIATE

I WILL ALSO GIVE A LAST DITCH EFFORT BY ASKING ANOTHER FELLER OR TWO, TO LOOK OVER THIS POST

Thanks,
but I have checked the fuses (all). I swapped out the relay for the fuel relay. There are not other relays that I can find that are associated with the AC or thereof. I will look at the 2 vin 4 diagrams.
Thanks!

Freaknpr
Would you mind asking the other experts about this problem to see if they have other ideas/solutions since your a Jeep Kinda Guy.

Freaknpr
I have also realized that my cooling fan does not turn on when the A/C switch is pressed on. I believe this may be related to my compressor not working or vice versa. Does that fan have to be on for the compressor to turn on? I will be checking the relay.

Freaknpr
GOT SOMEBODY ON THE WAY!

MESSAGES. AT THE TOP CLICK ON "YOU", THEN LOOK LEFT FOR MESSAGES

If the cooling fans dont work neither will the compressor. Ck the fans they have to run or the compressor will never come on.

Cadieman
Ok, I checked the pressure switch again after replacing it originally. I traced all the wires from the relay on down to the compressor. I reviewed and checked the interior ac heating controls. They are sending out power and that looks good. I am trying to look for any pinched or broken wires in the wire looms. Touch to get at but trying. I will let you know how I make out.

Freaknpr