CHEVY TIMING CHAIN

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier

1996 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive 160033 miles

My car has been tapping for a while now. Then it started having trouble starting, so I thought my starter was going out. I was going down the road the other day and it just died and made a metal metal sound. When I crank it now it turns over but it wont catch and makes a nock now. Would this have anything to do with my timing chain
Ashley abbott

Ashley abbott
Probably not. I have never replaced one. I would remove the serpentine drive belt and see if it starts. You could have a seized alternator or ac compressor. If not I would suspect bad engine. Keep us posted

Mastertechtim
I dont have any technical info, but I would suspect that car probably has a timing belt. Either way, at 160,000 miles Its pretty likley, or at least possible its broke. If its a timing belt, you should be able to check easily by pulling the cover off, If its a chain you'll have to remove the valve cover. Regardless of what type drive it is or whether its over head cam, with the valve cover off you'll be able to watch the rockers to check for movement while cranking.

Asandberg6
What engine is it. 2.2 or 2.3 or 2.4 the car does not have a timing belt. But he is right, pull the valve cover off and see if the rockers are moving. Why did you think it was your starter? If it was coming from that area? If it is I would remove the starter and check the fly wheel.

Rhall77
It is a 2.2, and I was told it is a chain not a belt, I think my best bet probly is to get a diagnostic test ran on it and go from there, Im just hope its somthing simple. And thank yall so much. Ashley

Ashley abbott
Well to be honest with u im having the same problem but my car starts and runs fine. Im having the problem with the wishping noise. Its a very unique noise kinda sounds like the exhaust leak noise. But its coming from the radiator side resivor. Im still lost and looking for anwsers myself before it cost me 900 bucks to get it fixed.

Blownchevy