CHEVY STARTER CONCERNS

1992 Chevrolet Camaro

1992 Chevy Camaro V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

ok I have a high torque starter or mini starter. I heard the starter bendix engage one day while driving. So I cut it off and it stopped. Got the car home and the starter was dead. Power and ground but nothing was happening when I hit the switch. So I took the starter off and un bound the bendix/gear. Put the starte back on and when I hook up the negative cable to the battery the bendix just kicks on. Its not engaging but spinning. What will cause it to do this. O no key in ignition either.
TMG03YOTA

Starters act funny ince in a while. Take the starter off and bench check it. If it does not turn then the brushes in the motor might be bad or not making connection. If not sure take it to a store like auto zone, they have the tools to check it or take it to a garge to be checked.

M_H_RITZEL
Sorry forgot to say that I have put a new starter on the car. I dont have the key in the ignition when it happens I just hook up the negative cable at the battery.

TMG03YOTA
Check the wires by the solonoid. It should only get juice when you turn the key. I think you have a crossed or loose wire. You said it started one day while you were driving when the engaged, then the problem would be in the ignition switch. Before going there. check the wires with the diagram I am sending.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/54223_1992_camero_2.jpg

M_H_RITZEL