S-10 WON'T START

2010 Chevrolet Blazer

I bought a used 1997 S-10 blazer with the 4.3L and 124,000 miles. It ran well for the first few miles and then began to die intermittently. After a few seconds, sometimes a minute or two, it would restart. It always turns over, but now doesn't start at all. The instrument panel lights always go out when it dies, and I've noticed that when the instrument lights come on, it'll start right up. Now, they've seem to go out for good and I'm stuck. Is this indicative of a ECM failure? Where is the ECM located?
Drjimchiro

I would have the battery checked out at a local parts store. If the battery is good have the alternator checked out. Next would be to check your electrical connections between the battery and alternator. With intermittent electrical problems they can be a bear to find sometimes unless it is doing it when the shop looks at it, but I would start with the battery and alternator(your voltage regulator could be failing in the alternator causing the car to loose power(voltage) and with most newer cars when the voltage drops too low the computer will shut off causing the car to die.

Garfield
Don't go there till we tell you-Triple check your engine electrical system

A buddy of mine has a 1997 s-10. The truck developed the same problem as yours. It took awhile to figure out but it was the ignition switch that was bad. When we had dash lights the truck would run and when it shut off, so did the lights. Hope this helps

C1971