CHEVY S10 4X4, 4.3 L V6, 132K OVERHEAT

2000 Chevrolet Blazer

Hope you can help with this issue, I recently had my Blazer in the shop for a failed distributor and rotor. ( Approx ) 1 month ago). Well, 3 days ago my temp guage shot straight to the top while coming home from work, then it dropped to zero, this occured several times as iI looked to pull over. I also ni=oticed my valves clattering just as pulled over and shut off the engine. No bursted hose just a bit of coolant were I stopped. Oil was maybe a quart low. I had it towed to my local dealership and after a day they called and told me I needed a new radiator, hoses, and I should also change the water pump and the lower intake gasket also needed to be replaced. Seems that the Dexcool inthe system had turned to gel inside and fouled up the system. Here is my real question, I was called back 2 days later and the shop told me that when they went to test the vehicle after the repair they noticed the the engine was missing, when they tested the engine they found a cylinder was miss firing anf then scoped the cylinder. They told me that there was a hole in the top of the piston and that the plug was also damaged. They said this was caused by the overheat, and that I now needed a new engine. The engine was perfect before this incident, I have never had any major maintenance, and the car was running maybe for a minute before I shut it down when the overheat occured. What may have caused the damage to the piston and was it caused by the overheat. My cocern is that they may have dropped something into the intake manifold when working on the lower seal for the intake manifold and possible fouled the piston when they started the engine back up after replacing the radiator, water pump and the lower seal. They quoted me about $4800 for a used engine replacment and approx. A grand more for a new engine. What do you think about the cause of the engine damage and the estimate for the repair, I am currently $1500 into the ar for the radiator, water pump, and seal work.
Msellison2

Hi sorry to hear of your troubles, im going to tackle this one short but sweet, the overheat concern you had could have caused alot of things, first when the engine overheats as bad as you said it willl expand the cylinder walls causing a loss of compression and aso overheating the oil making it too thin to protect the engine and cause bearing damage but unless you broke a rod or rod cap, or wrist pin the only way to have a hole in a piston that way is to drop a valve or for a plug to break off and strike the piston or like you stated to lose something in the intake, all statements are possible the only way to find out for sure is to tear it down, but either way check around for engine prices and also see if the dealer will work with you since you spent soo much already, where I used to work we would have given the longblock at cost and charged for small parts and labor and I was at a small dealer. And to be honest they should have checked it out first, im sure the tech drove it in the shop

good luck
jim

CHEVYII
Thanks alot, this will be very helpfull in making a decision.

Fantastic response

Msellison2
No problem

CHEVYII