CHEVY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT REMAINS "ON&QU

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

2003 Chevy Avalanche V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 66,000 miles

Check engine light remains" on" and idle very rough when starting up in the morning. If I play with the gas cap sometimes the light goes off. Lately it remains on continuously. Idle returns to normal after warming up 3-5 minutes. I am the original owner, truck is kept in the garage every night. Vehicle is in tip top condition, oil is changed every 2500 miles, brakes and transmission always maintained. First real problem with vehicle. Searched for any reported problems that might be of the same nature, but not sure where to look?
Balboni

Loosening the gas cap is enough to make the light go on. The ccap has to be clicked about 3 clicks when gassing up to make the light stay off. You have to get the engine scanned with a scan tool to see what the problem is. The code will tell you what to look for. Alot of auto parts stores will do this, like an auto zone, etc.