RE: AIR CONDITIONING VENTS

2000 Cadillac Deville

2000 Cadillac Deville

Hi:
My brother has a 2000 cadillac deville and has a problem with the front AC vents. They seem to be stuck in a closed position and do not let any AC through those vents. The rear vent gets AC and when in defrost mode cool air comes through the defrost vents. He has taken the dash board apart but has not been able to find any access to the vents. He thinks they may be blocked or that something is preventing them from toggling open and closed for some reason. Is there anywhere to obtain a vent or dashboard diagram as to where components are located under the dash. Or if you have any other suggestions for him that would be greatly appreciated. Any help or direction you could give would be great. Hope I explained this well enough.

Denise
Emptynest321

U have a vacume condition. Go to l/f fender area and
locate the vacume canister check for leaks.U may have to replace it. Also check the criuse control for proper oper. If u have low vacume it wont oper. Properly. Check all vacume sys. For leaks. The emegency brake releace also. Check the vacume
at a/c progamer. We enjoy your feedback hope this helps please donated

Cadieman
Does the system change modes, and try to blow out vents. If it only blows out of one mode(defog/floor), there may be an actuator issue at fault. There is no 'vacume' in this system, the park brake release and cruise are electro-mechanical as well.

Factoryjack
I have a 94 Deville with the same basic problem. Turn on the AC and air comes through the AC vents then it cycles to the Defrost vents for several minutes then it cycles back to the AC vents.
Is this a vacuum or an electro-mechanical problem? Either way does anyone know what to do to correct this before it sticks all the time in the Defrost Mode?

Kingdombuilder
U have a vacuum sys. King. Does the emerg. Brake release in drive?

Cadieman
Hi cadieman,

I don't know I haven't tried the emerg. Brake lately but will do so tomorrow. I have checked & replaced some of the vacuum tubing under the hood as some was cracked. In the process I noticed I had a air value with three outlet/inlets in the vacuum tube line with only two being utilized and connected to the tubing. The third air value outlet has a 8" piece of rubber tubing attached to it but it is not attached to anything at the other end. Its just dangling. I have looked but there doesn't appear to be anything that this was attached to. I don't know how this little plastic air value works inside but I don't see how a vacuum line could be maintained with an open outlet but my AC vent cycle does work back and forth of course and it would seem to me that if I did have an open outlet not attached to anything it wouldn't work at all due to constant vacuum loss. Any info you can give I would appreciate.

Thanks.

Kingdombuilder
Spray it down to find the leak.

Cadieman
It would be helpful if you were not so short with your words. I assume you are talking about spraying down the vacuum line? With what? Water? What about the inline air valve I mentioned? The two air valve connections used are horizontal but the third not used with the 8" piece of tubing just dangling and not connected to anything is vertical. Doesn't this unattached outlet mess up the vacuum in the line or not? Like I said my AC works as connected but I wonder why the third open port on the air valve. Is it supposed to be connected to something or should I block it off?

Kingdombuilder
Spray the vacuum sys. And hoses down with carb spray. When u find the leak the eng. Will surge off idle then it returns. When u spray it again it will surge again. This is where the leak is. Does the cruise work?

Cadieman