CV JOINT

1996 Cadillac Deville

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1996 Cadillac Deville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

I am replacing a cv joint on this cadillac...it came out easy because it's in 2 pieces. My question is....when I get my new one, will I be able to maneuver it in to place with the spindle housing in place or will I have to break it free from the upper and lower A arms to install the new one? Thanks!!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/340280_IMG_0997_2.jpg

Rickky

You will need to break it loose from the sway bar link, lower ball joint, and possibly tie rod end.

Factoryjack
If I break the lower ball joint then I assume I'll have to capture the coil spring to hold the load on the strut?

Rickky
The spring is captured between the upper strut mount, and lower spring saddle that is part of the strut. Your fine disconnecting the lower ball joint as it sits now. You will need to use a pry bar to clear the ball joint stud from the knuckle. You are replaceing the entire axle shaft, correct? Is the inner portion still in the trans, or just not in the picture?

Factoryjack