CHANGE REAR BRAKE PADS

1995 Cadillac Deville

Brakes problem
1995 Cadillac Deville V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 87000 miles

How do I change the rear Brake pads? Specifically, get the rear stablizing bar out of the way?
Bob Geisler

You don't take the bar out. To just change the pads, remove the bottom caliper bolt(12mm), and the park brake cable bracket bolt(14mm). Rotate the caliper up on the slide pin, and the pads can be removed and replaced. You will need to turn the piston in to recover the clearance for the new pads.

Factoryjack
Must jack the car up. Place blocks under the main spring and let the jack down so that the car's weight is on the spring and that action rotates the stablizing bar down and out of the way of the emergency brake arm which is connected to the caliper. Then I am able to fully rotate the caliper up, so that the old pads can be removed.

Bob Geisler
Sounds like you got it whipped. I usually perform the service on a hoist that lifts the body, and the suspension hangs.

Factoryjack