BACKING PLATE

1992 Cadillac Deville • 135,000 miles

My dad grinded off the wheel cylinder on my 1992 cadillac deville. The problem now is that the new wheel cylinder wont stay flush. When I tighten down the bolts the bottom of the cylinder when you tighten the bolts it sucks it in. The top however pushes out. I know it has to be something with the backing plate. I know it is the right cylinder because I already replaced the right rear. The left rear is being a pain. Is their anything that I can do to make the cylinder sit flush. I have tried to heat and hammer the backing plate. Still nothing.
Sean03

If you can't straiten out the backing plate you will have to replace it. The cylinder must sit flush with the plate

Djcl
I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT YOUR RIG.I DO BEST WITH JEEP CJs

BUT SOME WHEEL CYLINDERS ARE SPECIFIC TO THE DRIVER'S OR PASSENGER'S SIDE

ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T HAVE ONE FOR THE OPPOSITE SIDE?

THE PARTS STORE GUYS MAKE MISTAKES TOO!

"RIGGING" SOMETHING IS NOT THE ANSWER!---IF INDEED IT'S A DAMAGED BACKING PLATE---REPLACE IT---THEM BRAKES ARE SORTA AN IMPORTANT FEATURE ON YOUR CAR!

YOU MIGHT FIND ONE AT rockauto. Com

KEEP US POSTED

Is their another way to straiten it out besides the way that I told you. How do you replace it. If you could can you give me step by step that I need to do. Thanks for your help.

Sean03
I RECKON YOU SORTA SEE THAT CHANGING THE BACKING PLATE WILL BE AN "INVOLVED" JOB

ANYTIME I WORK ON SOMETHING I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH I GET A REPAIR MANUAL SPECIFIC TO THAT RIG.....I HAVE MANY MANUALS FOR MY FAMILY'S VEHICLES........IF IT'S FOR SOMEONE ELSE, I MAKE THEM GET THEIR OWN MANUAL! I EXPLAIN, $30 NOW MAY SAVE THEM MEGA $$$s....IT WILL BE USEFUL FOR THEIR NEXT REPAIR TOO....AND OTHER INFO TOO!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

THIS WOULD BE YOUR BEST BET, DOING IT YOURSELF, THINGS ARE STEP X STEP AND THEY DON'T ACCIDENTALLY LEAVE STUFF OUT....AND THEY GIVE YOU TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS...SOMETHING THAT GETS LEFT OUT BY MANY GIVING YOU A QUICK ANSWER.

YOU TUBE IS A GOOD PLACE TO "GET THE FEEL" OF WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO EMBARK ON---I'D USE IT AS A GUIDE, BUT ADHERE TO THE REPAIR MANUAL SORTA AS "LAW" ......YOU MIGHT CHANGE THE SEARCH WORDS I USED AND WATCH THE SUGGESTION VIDEOS DOWN THE SIDE

WARNING!!! THEY THROW IN GIRLY STUFF, JUST TO STEER YOU IN ANOTHER DIRECTION.....MAMA MIGHT NOT BE HAPPY TO SEE YOU WATCHING THEM INSTEAD OF THE "HOW TO VIDEO"

I HAVE GOTTEN YOU STARTED ON "A SEARCH" BELOW, YOUR TAKE OVER SEARCHING

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=1992+Cadillac+Deville+rear+brakes&oq=1992+Cadillac+Deville+rear+brakes&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=youtube.12...840535.856441.0.858457.22.20.2.0.0.0.94.707.20.20.0...0.0.

SOMETHING THAT MAY HELP US HELP YOU WOULD BE SOME PICS OF THE SITUATION.......LIKE SEVERAL DIFFERENT SHOTS OF THE PLATE AND ITS DAMAGE----THE WHEEL CYLINDER "STARTING TO GO IN"---CYLINDER IN BUT DO NO MORE DAMAGE......WELL LIT....IN FOCUS...POINT AT AND 'SPLAIN STUFF TOO

PICS ARE EZ TO POST---MAYBE WE CAN GIVE A BETTER SOLUTION WITHOUT ALL OF THE CHANGING OUT TROUBLE

YOUR TURN

Go to the salvage yard and replace it.

Cadieman
You were absolutely right I accidently bought 2 rights so I am sending one back and getting a left. Thanks.

Sean03
WOOOOOO---HOOOOOO. YEEEE HAAAA. AIRBORNE !---WOOOOOO---HOOOOOO. YEEEE HAAAA. AIRBORNE !WOOOOOO---HOOOOOO. YEEEE HAAAA. AIRBORNE !----WOOOOOO---HOOOOOO. YEEEE HAAAA. AIRBORNE !

CJ MEDEVAC WAS RIGHT AGAIN!

WOOOOOO---HOOOOOO. YEEEE HAAAA. AIRBORNE !

THANKS.I NEEDED THAT "WARM FUZZY", IT'S NORMALLY THE JEEP CJ GUYS THAT PAT ME ON THE BACK

LET US KNOW WHEN YOU'RE ALL GOOD TO GO