NO SOUND WHEN TRYING TO START

1998 Buick Regal

1998 Buick Regal 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

98 buick regal gs. Wont crank up. Just before this happened while driving ALL dash lights started coming on and off nonstop airbag, set belt, brakes, check engine, check oil, etc. Pulled over and turned the car off and now it wont crank up. Checked all fuses and tried to jump start without any success. There is no sound or clicking when trying to start all the light appear and I get just a air or vacuum noise.

let me knowwhat you think thanks alot!
Gregjm2000

Welcome to the forum, thanks for the donation, one possibility might be the theft/security system?

I'd make sure the battery has a full charge and the connections are good. If that checks out, I'd check the voltage circuits for the starter relay, under hood, relay box. Terminal 30, hot all the time, terminal 85, goes hot when you turn on the key. The computer grounds the coil side of relay, in order to energize. A couple of issues there, the crank fuse circuit and the security system. Any testing at the relay, make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set. Did you try cranking in neutral? Just a thought

Yes I did check the battery terminal and did try to crank it in neutral with no success. The battery seems to be fully charged as all the lights, stereo and etc. Continue to come on even after hours of the car sitting there.

Gregjm2000
What is the actual voltage reading across the battery posts? Can you check the voltage circuits at the starter relay?

My apoligies I do not have that equipment at home to check it. Any other posible options I can check beside the battary?

Again thanks for all your help!

Gregjm2000
You can check starter relay and circuits in under hood fuse box. Do you have a testlite?

I have checked that and all fuses. Replaced the altenator today and took it down to advance auto. Had them check the voltage on both the battery and altenator and there putting out 13 volts. Im still having issues with starting from time to time. Its starts with a jump and I still see random lights flashing on the dash anti lock, airbag, trac, service engine soon. And once started I cannot shift into drive, reverse or neutral. It stays locked in park.L had to bypass it under the auto shifter.

Thanks again you've been very helpfull!

Gregjm2000
That 13 volts, was that at idle with all electricals turned on? At idle, with the headlites turned on-- heater on high or ac--radio on-- foot on the brake-- open door so interior lites come on. What is the voltage reading at idle with everything turned on?

Yes 13 volts with everything on. After reading other blogs I'm beginning to think it maybe the ignition crank sensor. As I been having all of those symptoms. As it stalled once while driving. It will eventually crank up after several try's. Also when not started when the key is turned into the accessory position with all the auxiliary lights on I cannot get the car into gear. Sound familiar?

Gregjm2000
A crankshaft position sensor won't have any effect on the starter cranking. It could keep the vehicle from starting, though. Cranking is starter action, If the vehicle cranks good but won't run, that is another issue.