92 ACCELERATION PROBLEM

1992 Buick Park Avenue

Hello. My car has been having a problem for a couple years now. It runs fine around town, but when I'm on the highway for an hour or so, the problem starts. When I press on the gas to speed up, it doesn't do anything. It's like pressing on the gas cuts off the fuel supply. (But it doesn't die.) If I let up off the gas a little, it kicks in again. If I pull off to the side of the road and put it in park, the engine runs fine. If I press on the gas, the engine revs up just fine. But if I start driving again, I get the same problem again. If I shut off the engine for 10-15 minutes, it starts up and will run fine again for a while. But then the problem soon starts up again. It's as if something gets hot, which affects the car's ability to accelerate; and when you let it cool down, it runs fine until it gets hot again. But again, this never happens just driving around town - even if I'm running around for an hour or so. Sometimes a two hour drive down the highway will require that I pull over and just sit for several 10-15 minute periods. Any ideas as to what might be the problem would be greatly appreciated. It's very frustrating.
MrSteve4

Do this. Manually go down 1 gear during steady speed and step on the gas pedal all the way. See if it accelerate. If so. Then it is ur transmission won't down shift. Let me know after u try this

Kin chan
Are you saying I should do this when the problem happens? I'm usually on the highway traveling 60-70 MPH when it does. Is it ok to shift down into 2nd at that speed?

MrSteve4
Mine was acting similarly. The fuel pressure regulator was bad and when it got hot it drowned the engine. You might try a fuel pressure test to see if that is the issue.

Flamingbutterfly
Is Your Service Engine Light On?
If Yes, Scan ECM For Default Code.
Maybe See Mass AirFlow Sensor Code
I would Spend The 175 dollars or what ever you can get a Reman or New MAF Sensor And Replace.
Also Good Idea To Replace Fuel Filter
MAF Sensor In Throttle Body 2 Screws and 1 Pigtail Very easy to R/R
Fuel Filer Back At Tank Very Simple To R/R. Hope This Helps. Have a super - day"

Cessna823