STARTING PROBLEM

1997 Buick Park Avenue

1997 Buick Park Avenue Front Wheel Drive Automatic

starter will click and engine torques but does not crank and try to start, brand new alternater, battery, and starter. Have any ideas?
Mcclellan103

Is the SECURITY light flashing on the dash?

Zackman
No it does not flash but it will be on then when I turn the key over to start it goes off then when I stop cranking it comes back on.

Mcclellan103
Do this test and advise me with your finding. I think you may have a fault in your Pass-Key III security system.

PASS-KEY III(R) SYSTEM CHECK
1. Turn ignition on. After 10 seconds, check SECURITY indicator light. If light is off, go to next step. If light is illuminated, go to SECURITY INDICATOR ALWAYS ON.

2. Turn ignition switch to START position, then release ignition switch to RUN position. If engine cranks and SECURITY light turns off, system is okay. If system does not perform as noted, go to SECURITY INDICATOR IS ON, ENGINE DOES NOT CRANK, or SECURITY LIGHT IS NOT ON, ENGINE DOES NOT CRANK. If engine cranks, but does not start, see appropriate TESTS W/CODES article in ENGINE PERFORMANCE section.

Based on your finding, I will provide the proper test.

Zackman
Ok security light did not flash but starter will contionally click like a chatter not like a battery problem when trying to start. After trying to start if you turn the key back to off position the security light WILL flash. I tried using the remote start and the motor cranked maybe half a turn and stopped but all gauge needles were jumping all over the place.

Mcclellan103